Saturday, July 18, 2009

Accessing the untapped recesses of the ipod

Both Graham and I brought our ipods along on this trip. It's hard to imagine driving so far relying only on the radio, or even a cd collection. Not that I'm knocking radio, far from it. In fact, I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the CBC programming, but that's a topic for another day. I had a few thoughts about getting my ipod ready for the trip, including putting together some kickass driving tunes, but as with most other preparations, it didn't get done. The other thought was how long my songs would last on the trip. The first few days, I had it on shuffle or selected specific playlists, but it is surprising how quickly you go through play lists when you're driving all day. So, I decided to try something else today.

If you're like me, you have way more songs loaded on your ipod (or in your CD collection) than you listen to. I'd guess I play less than a third of the songs (I currently have 1937 loaded) on a regular basis, and even when I put it on shuffle, it seems to repeat the same songs (although it often somehow finds a Christmas carol!). So, I decided today to go through all 1937 songs on the ipod and see how long it takes. It will probably take longer than expected since I do listen to CBC in the morning, and Graham usually needs to hook up his ipod to recharge sometime in the afternoon. This generally results in us having a father-son moment over the merits (or lack of) of heavy metal/rock and various guitar solos. Still, I started at Loydminster today. I'm going through the music alphabetically by artist, so for example today I listened to ABBA, AC/DC, Alanis Morissette, Annie Lennox among others. I have already re-discovered an album that deserves to see more airtime and that is Amy Milan's "Honey from the Tombs" (thanks Bud). I'll also make note of stuff that can be ejected, didn't hear anything in that category today.

I'll let you know how this goes by adding it to the trip stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment